At first, I was struggling to find a picture that spoke to me. Something that would stand out so strongly but yet have a meaning to me. I feel like black and white photos have a stronger meaning to me because you are not distracted by the colors but by the shading of white, grays , and black. As an artist it's easier on the eyes to pick out where this picture gives it a story. Say this picture was in color, the color blues of the water, her and her friends skin tones, the color of the bathing suits and the hair color would all be too much going on. It wouldn't be what it has become. Another thing that stood out to me in this picture is that it's not symmetrical, and the background. The background shows on the left side another girl walking away, and underneath the girl doing a flip legs from another. Where on the right side it's empty.
This picture was compelling to me because it brought back a memory. It brought me back to a time of where I was a child and when things were easy. I didn't have to worry about bills and getting a 3.7 GPA to get into medical school. At that time in my life I was worried about hitting my head on the pool and having my mom tell me I couldn't swim until I was all better. It brought me back to where my friends and I would have a gymnastics competitions in the pool of who's flips were better. Then when we got bored of that, we played mermaids. It brought me back to happier times when life wasn't so complicated.
In my opinion this artist took this picture to remind his audience some piece of their childhood. To where everyone's life was easier. Where our biggest worry was getting to our friends house on time. It shows that we all were once kids. Where stress hadn't over taken our daily lives. This artist used the rule of thirds, making the center appear bigger and the others behind smaller, and black and white to focus on the moral of the story.

Comments
Post a Comment